Petite France in Strasbourg: Barrage Vauban, Ponts Couverts, Old Town

The Petite France is a historic quarter of Strasbourg. It is located at the western end of the Grande Île, which contains the historical centre of the city. Just upstream of Petite France, the River Ill flows through the Barrage Vauban, a defensive structure built at the end of the 17th century. Downstream of this, the river splits into the Canal du Faux-Rempart and four channels which flow through the Petite France quarter. These four channels are spanned by the Ponts Couverts, an earlier defensive structure of three bridges and four towers that, despite its name, has not been covered since the 18th century.

Continue reading Petite France in Strasbourg: Barrage Vauban, Ponts Couverts, Old Town

Advertisements

Parc de l’Orangerie

Parc de l’Orangerie is a park in Strasbourg. It has a small zoo with a large number of white storks (cigogne), the totem animal of Alsace.

Continue reading Parc de l’Orangerie

Jardin des Deux Rives / Garten der Zwei Ufer & Weißtannenturm

The Jardin des Deux Rives (Park of the Two Shores), also known as Garten der Zwei Ufer in German, is a park built in 2004 that straddles the France / Germany border along the river Rhine: One part is in Strasbourg, the other in Kehl. The two parts are linked with a pedestrian / bike bridge, the Passerelle des Deux Rives. On the south part of the park in Kehl is the Weißtannenturm (White fir tower), a wooden tower with a good view on the park and the Rhine from the top.

Continue reading Jardin des Deux Rives / Garten der Zwei Ufer & Weißtannenturm

Tower of Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg

The Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg is a large catholic church in Strasbourg and one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions. It was built between 1176 and 1439 in the gothic style. Next to the main tower, there is an observatory (accessible by stairs only) that gives a good view of Strasbourg.

Continue reading Tower of Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg

European Parliament (Strasbourg)

The city of Strasbourg in eastern France is the official seat of the European Parliament. All votes take place in the hemicycle inside the Louise Weiss building, located in the Quartier Européen (European Quarter) of the city. It is possible to visit it as part of a ~1h guided tour.

Continue reading European Parliament (Strasbourg)

Jet d’Eau

The Jet d’Eau is a large 140m-high fountain in Lake Geneva, located in the Eaux-Vives district of Geneva next to where the lake flows into the Rhône. It is one of the city’s most famous landmarks and is visible from far away. There is a walkway, the Jetée des Eaux-Vives, to get right next to the nozzle. Here is a schedule of the operating hours of the fountain.

Continue reading Jet d’Eau

Towers of Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Genève

The Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Genève is a church in the old town of Geneva. It was built as a roman catholic church in the Middle Ages but became the adopted home church of Calvin, one of the leaders of the Protestant Reformation. Entrance to the main building is free, however access to the towers, with an open air observatory and a great view of Geneva and the lake, costs 5 Fr.

Continue reading Towers of Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Genève

La Jonction in Geneva: Confluence of Rhône and Arve rivers

La Jonction is a place in Geneva where the rivers Rhône and Arve join with each other. Both rivers have different colors and, when meeting, their waters mix together into the one final river, Rhône. For a good view of this phenomenon, there is a viewpoint next to the water, as well as a bridge (Viaduc de la Jonction) 40m above.

Continue reading La Jonction in Geneva: Confluence of Rhône and Arve rivers

Fort l’Écluse

Fort l’Écluse is a fortress near Bellegarde-sur-Valserine. It guards the Rhône valley between the Vuache hills and the Jura Mountains and is a natural entrance into France from Geneva. The fort was founded by the Duchy of Savoy in the 13th century and, after it was ceded to France along with the Pays de Gex during the reign of Louis XIV, completed by Vauban. It was destroyed by the Austrians in 1815, but was rebuilt by the French and considerably strengthened and heightened. The fort is open to visitors during summer.

Continue reading Fort l’Écluse