The Turin Cathedral (Duomo di Torino or Cattedrale di San Giovanni Battista) is a church in Turin built at the end of the 15th century. It hosted the Shroud of Turin from 1578, when it was moved from the Holy Chapel (Sainte Chapelle) in Chambéry, to 1649, when the Chapel of the Holy Shroud (Cappella della Sacra Sindone) next door was completed. It currently hosts it again since the fire of the chapel in 1997.
The cathedral has a bell tower (Torre campanaria), separate from the main body, which can be visited. It is quite high (63 m) and offers a great view on the city of Turin and the surrounding mountains. Tickets can be purchased at the entrance of the Diocesan Museum of Turin (Museo Diocesano di Torino), on the other side of the cathedral from the tower. After that, there is an underground passage to reach the tower then stairs to get to the top.
Continue reading Tower observatory of the Turin Cathedral
The Church of Santa Maria al Monte dei Cappuccini is built on a hill overlooking the river Po in Turin. That hill has a great view on the city and is a popular place to watch the sunset.
Continue reading Sunset at Monte dei Cappuccini
The Chiesa del Santo Volto (Church of the Holy Face) is a catholic church located in Turin, next to Parco Dora. It was built in 2006 based on designs by architect Mario Botta.
Continue reading Chiesa del Santo Volto
Basilica di Superga is an 18th-century church located at the top of the Superga hill above Turin. Its Royal Crypt is the burial place of the Savoy family (although earlier members were buried at the Hautecombe Abbey near Chambéry). The Basilica also has a dome with an outside observatory that offers a great view on Turin and the Alps.
Continue reading Dome Observatory of Basilica di Superga
Église Saint-Joseph is a catholic church in Annemasse build in the 1940’s based on a design by architect Dom Paul Bellot, who also designed Basilique Saint-Joseph-des-Fins in Annecy.
Continue reading Église Saint-Joseph (Annemasse)
The Église de Notre-Dame de la Gorge is a catholic church in Les Contamines-Montjoie, located at the back of Val Montjoie on the path of the GR Tour du Mont Blanc trail. There has been a church on the site since the 11th century but the current building dates from the beginning of the 18th century.
Continue reading Église de Notre-Dame de la Gorge